- Tightly integrated with Outlook.
- PSTs can be dragged and dropped into the archive.
- Unified search across the live message store and the archive.
- Search across multiple mailboxes for qualified staff.
- Simple retention policies, based on the number of days of retention, can be defined. These policies can be defined to apply to a folder, individual messages, or an entire mailbox.
- Legal holds can be imposed, overriding defined retention policy.
- There’s basic mailbox and configuration logs and auditing.
- Stubbing’s not used.
Wednesday, September 30, 2009
Archive Mailbox is one of the many welcoming features in Exchange 2010 Server. This feature solves issues related to PST files which gives headache for any exchange admins.
Let me explain how archive mailbox feature will address the existing problems.
- There is no company which doesn’t have staff using PST files. Archive mailbox gets rid of PST files by giving the user an additional mailbox.
- PST files are local to the user’s machine, gets corrupted easily and is hard to include the files in backup. Archive mailbox sits in the same mailbox database as the user’s main mailbox and can be included in the backup easily.
- Archive Mailbox is available in Outlook as well as Outlook Web App (OWA), which is a huge improvement. Users can access their email archive irrespective of where they are.
- Archive Mailbox is included as part of the Exchange Enterprise CALs and hence no extra cost is required (for those who have ECALs).
- Retention policies can be set for emails/folders in the archive mailbox.
- User has the option to search for emails in archive only or both primary & archive mailbox.
- Archive Quota can be set separate to the primary mailbox.
- Emails in existing PSTs can be dragged into the archive mailbox very easily.
- Users get Conversation View scoped to archive mailbox as well.
- The archive and primary mailbox share the same user account.
- Only one archive mailbox can be configured for a user.
- Archive mailbox gets created on the same mailbox database as the primary one, which is a drawback. Future service packs might bring the option to create the archive mailbox in a different database.
- The default quota warning for the archive mailbox is 10GB, which can be changed.
- All in all, it is good news for admins as they don’t have to worry about issues like a lost laptop with PST files in it, corrupted PSTs etc.